Radiation Tidbits - Man-made Radiation
Most of the radiation in our daily life comes from the natural environment. However, we also produce radiation in the application of radiation technology. We call this 'man-made radiation'. It may arise from medical exposure, operation of nuclear power plants, nuclear industrial incidents, nuclear weapon tests, etc. Another source of man-made radiation comes from some consumer products which contain radioactive material.
Written by: Yeung Siu-wai
Medical diagnosis and therapy
Nuclear power plant
Consumer product - luminous clock
Radiation is produced by various human activities
- (1)Where does man-made radiation come from ?
- (2)What is the main source of man-made radiation ? What is its radiation level ?
- (3)What is X-ray ? Is it safe to take X-ray examination ?
- (4)How is radiotherapy performed ?
- (5)How is nuclear energy generated ?
- (6)What is nuclear fission and nuclear fusion ?
- (7)What are the common consumer products that produce radiation ?
- (8)Where can I get more information on radiation ?