Career@HKO - Scientific Assistant
A Student Scientific Assistant is mainly deployed on undertaking formal and on-the-job training for a period of two to three years in general scientific work, such as weather observing, coding and chart analysis, radioactivity monitoring, operation and calibration of scientific instruments, scientific computations, operation and utilisation of information technology systems and applications development.
He/she may be required to work outdoors, shifts, outside normal office hours, or in adverse weather condition.
(Note: A Student Scientific Assistant who has satisfactorily completed at least two years' training, passed a departmental examination and is considered to have fulfilled the requirements of the grade and service need may be promoted to the Scientific Assistant rank.)
Please see Pay Scale Webpage for reference.
- Level 3 or above in Mathematics;
- Level 3 or above in Physics, or Information and Communications Technology, or an appropriate science subject; and
- Level 2 or above in three other subjects,
- Grade C or above in Mathematics;
- Grade C or above in Physics, or Computer and Information Technology, or an appropriate science subject; and
- Level 2/Grade E or above in three other subjects,
- Meeting the language proficiency requirements of Level 2 or above in Chinese Language and English Language in HKDSEE or HKCEE, or equivalent, and be able to speak fluent Cantonese.
(Note: The subjects in items 1(iii) and 2(iii) above may include Chinese Language and English Language.)