The Hong Kong Observatory (HKO) has been releasing weather data to the public through RSS on its website since 2012. The data were also available on the PSI Portal (DATA.GOV.HK). With a view to opening up more data for free use by the public, HKO released today (27 June 2019) 6 new datasets, namely
• Data on daily maximum, mean and minimum temperatures
• Data on visibility
• Data on lightning locations
• Data on tropical cyclone track
• Data of almanac information
• Data on Special Weather Tips
All existing RSS datasets have also been migrated to JSON, a more common machine readable format at the same time. All datasets can also be found in the HKO website. An Open Data Application Programming Interface (API) and the related documentation are available to facilitate retrieval of required data.