Skip to main content
Hong Kong Observatory Brand Hong Kong - Asia's world city
GovHK Traditional Chinese Simplified Chinese Search Search Site Map Contact Us
red dot
Print Version
Print Version PDF Version

Typhoon Dot
6 - 13 October 1964

A poorly defined circulation was located 80 miles southeast of the island of Yap on October 6th. It moved northwestwards at 19 knots and intensified into a tropical storm on October 7th and into a typhoon early on October 9th. Later on October 9th, it changed course and moved westwards across the north of Luzon Island at 8 knots, but continued to slow down and became almost stationary about 270 miles south-southeast of Hong Kong on October 11th. In Hong Kong No. 1 Local Storm Signal was hoisted at 11.15 a.m. on October 10th when the centre was 400 miles away, and it was followed by No. 3 signal at 7.10 p.m. on October 11th. Early on October 12th the storm started to move again in a north-northwesterly direction at 6 knots and, as this new movement persisted, No. 7 signal was hoisted at 1.10 p.m. when the centre was 140 miles away. The 'eye' of the storm was estimated to be 50 miles in diameter. Even at this stage there was a likelihood that the storm would recurve northeastwards, but during the afternoon and evening the north-northwesterly track was maintained. At 1.30 a.m., when there was still no sign of recurvature and the centre was 60 miles south-southeast of Hong Kong, No. 9 signal was hoisted. The first northeasterly gales were recorded at the Observatory at 2.30 a.m. At 4 a.m. when the centre was 40 miles away, No. 10 signal was hoisted to warn anticipated sudden changes in the wind direction as the centre passed close to the Colony. At 6.30 a.m. the pressure at the Observatory reached a minimum of 977.3 millibars as the centre passed about 20 miles to the east, moving northwards at 10 knots. At 8 a.m. the mean wind decreased temporarily to 29 knots and then increased again from the west. Westerly and later southwesterly gales persisted at the Observatory until about noon. Altogether there were 8 hours of gales at the Observatory from 3 a.m. to 6 a.m. and from 9 a.m. until noon, with a maximum gust of 94 knots. Maximum gusts of 119 knots at Tate's Cairn was also recorded. As the typhoon moved away inland, No. 10 signal was replaced by No. 6 signal at 12.15 p.m. followed by No. 3 signal at 3.15 p.m., and all signals were lowered at 6.25 p.m. on October 13th.

Last revision date: <18 Dec 2012>