Public Weather Observation Course 2023
To provide interested members of the public with basic knowledge in weather observation and its applications.
Beginners interested in weather observation.
Course date and time:
1st session: 09:15 a.m.– 12:30 p.m. on Saturday, 28 October 2023
2nd session: 09:15 a.m.– 12:30 p.m. on Saturday, 4 November 2023
(Two sessions with a total of about 6.5 hours)
Hong Kong Observatory
134A Nathan Road
Kowloon, Hong Kong
- Weather observations
Elements of weather observation
Cloud observation and classification
Understanding weather reports
Weather phenomena and hazards
Interpretation of weather charts and weather proverbs
Applications of weather observation in weather forecasting
- Meteorological instruments
Use of weather information on the MyObservatory mobile app and HKO’s website
Sharing of weather photos and reports on the platform of the Community Weather Observing Scheme (CWOS)
Experienced meteorological personnel of the Hong Kong Observatory
The application period ended on 3 October 2023.
3 October 2023
- A random ballot will be held in case of oversubscription. The ballot will be held in unit of entry form. All the applicants in the drawn entry form will be selected. Only last submitted record will be counted for repeated entries. The Hong Kong Observatory has the final decision on the ballot results.
- Successful applicants will be informed by email on or before 16 October. Unsuccessful applicants will NOT be notified individually.
- Participants will be notified to pay by cross cheque payable to "The Government of the HKSAR" or by general demand note which supports e-payment. Please indicate “Weather Observation Course”, list of participant name(s) on the application form, and contact phone number at the back of the cheque.
- If the course needs to be postponed due to bad weather or other circumstances, the participants will receive individual notifications for further arrangement.