Public Weather Observation Course
To provide interested members of the public with basic knowledge in weather observation and its applications.
Beginners interested in weather observation.
1st session: 09:15 a.m.– 12:30 p.m. on Saturday, 14 December 2019
2nd session: 09:15 a.m.– 12:30 p.m. on Saturday, 21 December 2019
(Two sessions with a total of about 6.5 hours)
1st session: Hong Kong Museum of History
100 Chatham Road South
Tsim Sha Tsui
Kowloon, Hong Kong
2nd session: Hong Kong Observatory
134A Nathan Road
Kowloon, Hong Kong
- Introduction to weather observation:
Cloud observation and classification
Weather observation elements
Weather phenomena and hazards
Understanding weather reports
Interpretation of weather radar and satellite pictures
- Meteorological instruments:
- Applications of weather observation:
Interpretation of weather charts
Use of weather information on the MyObservatory mobile app and HKO’s website
Sharing of weather photos and reports on the platform of the Community Weather Observing Scheme (CWOS)
Experienced meteorological personnel of the Hong Kong Observatory
21 November 2019
- A random ballot will be held in case of oversubscription. The ballot will be held in unit of entry form. All the applicants in the drawn entry form will be selected.
- Successful applicants will be informed by email on or before 28 November. Unsuccessful applicants will NOT be notified individually.
- Participants will be notified to pay the course fee by cross cheque payable to “The Government of the HKSAR”. Please indicate “Weather Observation Course”, list of participant name(s) on the application form, and contact phone number at the back of the cheque.
- If the course needs to be postponed due to bad weather or other circumstances, the participants will receive individual notifications for further arrangement.