Skip to main content
Hong Kong Observatory Brand Hong Kong - Asia's world city
GovHK Traditional Chinese Simplified Chinese Search
Search Site Map Contact Us
red dot
Print Version
Print Version PDF Version

Tropical Storm Doksuri (1206)
26 - 30 June 2012

        Doksuri was the second tropical cyclone that necessitated the issuance of a tropical cyclone warning signal by the Hong Kong Observatory in 2012. It also necessitated the issuance of the first No. 8 Gale or Storm Signal in the year. 

        Doksuri formed as a tropical depression over the western North Pacific about 1 280 km east of Manila on 26 June and moved west-northwestwards. It intensified into a tropical storm and moved northwestwards on the following day. Doksuri reached its peak intensity over the seas to the northeast of Luzon on 28 June with an estimated maximum sustained wind of 85 km/h near its centre. It moved west-northwestwards across the Luzon Strait during the day and entered the South China Sea that night. Doksuri moved across the northern part of the South China Sea at about 27 km/h towards the coast of Guangdong near the Pearl River Estuary on 29 June, and made landfall over the coast of Guangdong to the west of Macao on the small hours of 30 June. Doksuri weakened into a tropical depression and subsequently dissipated inland over western Guangdong that morning. According to press reports, minor damage to chimneys were reported in Macao and there were no casualties or significant damage in Guangdong during the passage of Doksuri. 

        In Hong Kong, the Standby Signal No. 1 was issued at 9:40 p.m. on 28 June when Doksuri was about 710 km east-southeast of Hong Kong. Local winds were light that evening. Doksuri was a relatively fast-moving tropical cyclone and it moved steadily towards the coast of Guangdong on 29 June. Local winds were moderate northerlies at first that day, strengthening gradually and becoming fresh northeasterlies in the late afternoon, occasionally strong offshore and on high ground. The Strong Wind Signal No. 3 was issued at 4:20 p.m. when Doksuri was about 200 km southeast of Hong Kong. Local winds continued to strengthen during the evening. At the Hong Kong Observatory Headquarters, the lowest instantaneous mean sea-level pressure of 997.8 hPa was recorded at 7:22 p.m. when Doksuri was about 140 km to the southeast. Local winds strengthened further at night, becoming strong easterlies, reaching gale force over parts of Hong Kong, particularly offshore and on high ground. The No. 8 NE Gale or Storm Signal was issued at 11:05 p.m. when Doksuri moved to about 90 km to the south of the Hong Kong Observatory. Doksuri was closest to Hong Kong at about 1 a.m. on 30 June, passing about 70 km to the southwest of the Hong Kong Observatory. Local winds veered to the southeast on the small hours of 30 June and the No. 8 NE Gale or Storm Signal was replaced by the No. 8 SE Gale or Storm Signal at 12:40 a.m. As Doksuri made landfall to the west of Macao, local winds became south to southeasterlies and gradually subsided. The No. 3 Signal was issued at 3:25 a.m. to replace the No. 8 SE Gale or Storm Signal, followed by the Standby Signal No. 1 at 6:40 a.m. All signals were cancelled at 8:15 a.m. as Doksuri moved further away and weakened over land. Gusts of over 120 km/h were recorded at Tai Mo Shan, Tates Cairn and Ngong Ping during the passage of Doksuri, while gusts of 104 and 113 km/h were recorded at Waglan Island and Green Island respectively. 

        The weather in Hong Kong was fine and very hot during the day on 28 June and at first on 29 June. Showers developed over inland Guangdong moved southwards to affect Hong Kong during the afternoon of 29 June. Squally showers affected the territory that night and at first on 30 June as Doksuri moved closer to the Pearl River Estuary. Scattered showers and a few squally thunderstorms affected Hong Kong for the rest of the day on 30 June. 

        During the passage of Doksuri, two people were injured in Hong Kong and there were over 100 reports of fallen trees, scaffoldings and sign-boards being blown lose. A large part of the rooftop on the terrace of a factory building collapsed in Yau Tong during squally showers, fortunately no one was injured. There were also reports of interruption to traffic due to fallen trees in various parts of Hong Kong. A large tree was uprooted in Happy Valley, damaging the electric wire installations of the tram and interrupting the tram services. The windscreen of a vehicle passing by was also damaged. A sampan sank in rough seas off the seas at Hebe Haven in Sai Kung. At the Hong Kong International Airport, nine flights were delayed and two others cancelled. 


Last revision date: <21 Dec 2012>