To provide basic knowledge and techniques in taking weather observation and understanding its applications.
Any amateurs interested in weather observation.
Course date and time:
1st session: 09:30 a.m.– 12:30 p.m. on Saturday, 11 October 2014.
2nd session: 09:30 a.m.– 12:30 p.m. on Saturday, 18 October 2014.
(Two sessions with totally 6 hours)
1st session: Hong Kong Museum of History
100 Chatham Road South,
Tsim Sha Tsui,
Kowloon, Hong Kong
2nd session: Hong Kong Observatory
134A Nathan Road, Kowloon, Hong Kong
(1) Introduction to weather observation:
Cloud and visibility observation
Weather phenomena and hazards
Understanding coded weather reports
(2) Meteorological instruments:
(3) Practical work:
Practical work on weather observation and coding of weather reports
(4) Applications of weather observation:
Interpretation of weather charts
Use of weather information on HKO’s website
Sharing platform of weather reports
Hong Kong Observatory's staff experienced in weather observation and analysis
Hong Kong Dollars $120
29 August 2014
2926 8318 (Ms Yeung)
(1) A random ballot will be held in case of oversubscription. The ballot will be held in unit of entry form. All the applicants in the drawn entry form will be selected.
(2) Successful participants will be informed by email on or before 22 September 2014. Those not selected will NOT be notified individually.
(3) Participants will be notified to pay the course fee by cross cheque payable to “The Government of the HKSAR”. Please indicate “Weather Observation Course”, name and contact phone number at the back of the cheque.
(4) Arrangement during bad weather condition:
If Black Rainstorm Warning Signal or Typhoon Signal No. 8 is still in force after 7 a.m. on the course day, the course will be postponed. Participants will receive individual notifications for further arrangement.